tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 30 20:42:07 2000

Re: tlhIngan-Hol Digest 30 Mar 2000 09:00:00 -0000 Issue 1497

In a message dated 3/30/2000 4:01:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

>  Klingons do not say <qatlho'> in these situations. When speaking Klingon,
it
>  is considered polite to be concise, while it is considered rude to waste
>  time on pleasantries. If someone opens the door for you, the polite
response
>  among Klingon speakers is to go through it; if someone gives you a gift,
the
>  polite response is to use it as intended. Use <tlho'> only when you want to
>  express real gratitude.

But I'm not Klingon, nor do I speak to Klingons.  I will use the language as
an educated human, to other humans.  If a Klingon would consider my usage
rude, the same can often be said of him when he speaks English.  I adopt the
language, not the culture.
lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level