tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 30 08:09:47 2000

RE: Klingon WOTD: jIH (v)

> >From: [email protected]
>
> correction! acording to the translations i got from the
> startrek web site,
> "jIH" means I.

There's a Klingon pronoun {jIH} which means "I, me".  Usually these are used
in conjunction with verb prefixes to indicate the subject/object, and when
the pronoun is also included, it emphasizes the subject/object.  For
instance, you can say {qalegh} ({qa-} "I-subject, you-object", {legh} (v)
see), which means "I see you."  You can include the pronoun: {qalegh jIH}
"*I* (and not someone else) see you."

There's also a verb {jIH}.  It a homonym: a word that sounds the same as
another word, but has a different meaning.  This verb {jIH} means "monitor."
We don't have any canon examples of how it's used, but I presume it would
mean something like "the army monitors the battlefield" or "the captain
monitors the enemy."

We also have a noun, {jIH}, which means "viewing screen, monitor."  We do
have canon for this: {motlh ray' luSamlaHmeH De' Qatlh cha' tlhIngan Duj
jIH'a'} "the main viewer on a Klingon ship is usually overlaid with a
complex target acquisition grid."  (Translation as provided on the Skybox
trading card, SP3).

-- Holtej 'utlh

tlhIngan Hol mailing list FAQ: