tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 29 15:02:38 2000

RE: *message*wIj wa'DIch

Welcome to the list, qalanIy. My name is pagh, and I am the current
Beginners Grammarian for the list. It's my job to help new people learn
Klingon. Whenever you have a post you want help with, mark it with a KLBC in
the subject line.

The word you were looking for in your subject line - "message" - is <QIn>,
which also means "spearhead". This word isn't in The Klingon Dictionary (we
usually call it TKD); you'll find it and a bunch of other new words in a
more recent book called Klingon for the Galactic Traveller (KGT). Before KGT
was published, we generally used <jabbI'ID> - "data transmission" - for
"message" on this list, and we still do in some contexts, so you can expect
to see that as well.

jatlh qalanIy:

> OK... here goes... *gulp*

> qalanIy (do I need a ' in there?) 'oh pongwIj'e'.

maj.

It's your name, so you can spell it however you want. <qalanIy> has a rather
nice sound to it, and sticking an <'> in it anywhere would probably just
screw it up.

> tlhIngan Hol vIghojtaHba' 'e' vInIdtaH.

Suffix order: the type six <-ba'> goes before the type seven <-taH>. Also,
there is a rule that says a verb after <'e'> cannot take a type seven suffix
- it takes on the aspect of the first verb. Since the aspects are the same
here, that works out just fine:

tlhIngan Hol vIghojba'taH 'e' vInID.

> vInIDtaH 'e' vItIvtaH.

Again, the second <-taH> has to go. Otherwise this is good.

> HolwIj wejDIch 'oH.

maj. HolwIj cha'DIch 'oH, 'ej qen cha' Hol pIm vIHaDchoH je.
Cool. It's my second language, and recently I started studying two more.

> QaqtaHDI' pabwIj tlhIHvad jIjatlh muSey 'e'!

Typo: <QaQtaHDI'>. I don't normally mention them, but the difference between
<Q> and <q> is important.

You're trying to use <'e'> as the subject of a verb, but it doesn't work.
<'e'> can only be the object. Also, <Sey> is "be excited" rather than
"excite", so you need to say <jISey>, getting out of the problem entirely :)

> jIbel pabwIj qabmo' HughwIjDaq bISupbe'chugh! :)

qabbe' pablIj. pupbe', 'ach qayajtaH.

Very good first message. yIHem! 'ej tugh latlh yIlab!

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ