tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 23 19:06:51 2000

Re: KLBC: building floors

jatlh DujHoD:

>You can only use a {SalmoHwI'} once. A
>turbolift also needs to descend. Besides, most
>turbolifts are also capable of horizontal motion.

Of course, but neither of our English words convey that meaning either.
We don't call elevators "elevators/lowerers" or turbolifts
"turbo-lifts/lowerers/sliders." I'm sure this comes from the fact that
elevators (lifts) were originally used to get to the upper floors of
very tall buildings, thus the name describes exactly what they do. They
can of course come back down, but they kind of have to, and that's not
why they're so important. As elevators advanced, they gained horizontal
movement as well, and of course in space vessels there isn't really a
ground floor you start at to go "up" from, but the name remained the
same. (They just added "turbo-" meaning they were fast.)

Anyhoo, I would think that Klingons would not have invented a brand new
word for elevators that move horizontally as well as vertically, but I
really don't know. ;)

BTW does anyone know if there are any languages in which the word for
"elevator" conveys more just the upward motion?

Oh, boy... <RAMBLE MODE="off">

---

reH taHjaj tlhIngan Hol...

Qapla'