tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 22 12:26:15 2000

Re: tlhIngan-Hol Digest 21 Mar 2000 09:00:00 -0000 Issue 1488

Nicolau asked:

>I'm translating Nick Nicholas' {paghmo' tIn mIS} to practice and learn
>{tlhIngan Hol}. This weekend I've finished 3.3, where some characters
>speak in
>an upper-class Klingon. Before I buyed {The Klingon Hamlet} I
>did guess that M/Mb = b, N/ND = D, and ts = tlh (but I have'nt understood
>yet the rule with final '). In the appendices of Hamlet (page 209) I
>comproved I was right.

As David correctly pointed out, low-class, not high class. Final
apostrophe is just left out; I *think* that came up in Morskan, but would
have to check.

>But there are still some words I can't translate, here you have the whole
>sentences:

In this and in the following, I was reaching for a pun by having the
characters close off their CV syllables with an extra C borrowed from the
next word. The extraneous letter (which is not a documented
dialecticism, and I may end up taking it out) is in parentheses. Thus,

>D: wa'NIch jIMuSMej: Na' Na(gh)ghachvaN um nuq e MoQuMMej?
>What is {Dagh}? Please, I'm not asking about {'e'} nor {nuq} here.

Da' DaghachvaD, made to sound like naghghachvaD.

>D: jatvaN pong QaQ NaghajMa'. 'IHchugh ghot, NoMMa'pu' No'ghach. (...)
>What is {Dob}?

Hm, was this a thinko on my part? nobba'pu', and I can't see a pun with
Dom or nom...

>D: (...) He(m)meyNaq pagh chuSghach je yIqaSmoHmej. (...)
>I know {Hem} as "be proud", but what is here?

The proper word is HemeyDaq; I think I inserted the m here just to be
consistent with Da(gh)ghach.

Like I say, the confusion is probably unjustifiable here (paghmo' tInba'
mIS'e' :-) ), and I suspect these will go when the text undergoes its
final revision. I haven't checked the current version of the text yet, and
have been busy this week on a translation (not into or from Klingon); I'll
check next week, if you like...

--
Nick Nicholas; Thesaurus Linguae Graecae, http://www.tlg.uci.edu./~opoudjis

Back to archive top level