tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 21 20:09:57 2000

Re: (KLBC) troubles with {paghmo' tIn mIS}

From: "Nicolau Rodrigues" <[email protected]>
> I'm translating Nick Nicholas' {paghmo' tIn mIS} to practice and learn
{tlhIngan Hol}. This weekend I've finished 3.3, where some characters speak
in an upper-class Klingon. Before I buyed {The Klingon Hamlet} I
> did guess that M/Mb = b, N/ND = D, and ts = tlh (but I have'nt understood
yet the rule with final '). In the appendices of Hamlet (page 209) I
comproved I was right.

I wouldn't call it "upper-class Klingon," really.  It's buffoonery.  The
characters who use it are morons, as indicated by what they say, as well as
how they say it.

> But there are still some words I can't translate, here you have the whole
sentences:

This is probably the older version . . . I couldn't tell you what they are.
Nick doesn't seem to be listening just yet, though he's usually paying
attention in case something like this comes up.

> Also, I would know if these dialectalisms are canonized by Okrand (or made
with his approval).

At the time, I think only the dialect information in The Klingon Dictionary
was known, along with what we could piece together from Star Trek VI: The
Undiscovered Country (the scene with the Morska listening post guards).  We
now have more recent dialect information in Klingon for the Galactic
Traveler (a whole section devoted to explaining some regionalisms in fact!).
But Mark Okrand did not directly say "Yes, this is right" to the /paghmo'
tIn mIS/ dialects.

In fact, unless a reedit has changed things, the dialects in Hamlet and Much
Ado are both combinations of various known dialects.

SuStel
Stardate 222.2

Back to archive top level