tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 21 14:43:04 2000

Re: RE: Klingon WOTD: DarSeq (n)

David Trimboli:
>Maybe a local or regional currency?

chaq.  'ach not /DeQ/ lo' "TV shows", qar'a'?
mu'vam lo' MO neH 'e' vIHar.  motlh "latinum"
lulo' DawI'pu'.

>Maybe another name for the standard currency?  ("I thought you Americans
>used 'dollars'!  How many dollars are in a 'buck'?")

Do we know the relationships between the various
units of currency such as (Federation) credits, Klingon
DeQmey, parseks, and bars of latinum?  We know that
latinum is very desirable (expressed gold-pressed, I
think) and that "aktah crystals" are very rare and
used as barter [KCD].

>Maybe the standard currency, and only tourists use /DeQ/.

Daj qechvam.

>I don't think this is a situation where you can point fingers at the evil
>"Paramount scriptwriters."  There are plenty of reasons why the word may
>have been used, both in and out of the story.

mIgh chaH 'e' vIngu''a'?  I never said that they were
evil =) , but you have to admit that they sometimes
change words (or invent words) to suit the mostly
English dialogue.  e.g. What the heck is a "gorch"?

--
De'vID

Back to archive top level