tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 19 20:29:50 2000

Re: KLBC: Hov Ha'DIbaH je lut (revision)

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:02:59 EST [email protected] wrote:
> In a message dated 3/14/2000 5:36:19 PM Central Standard Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> << Unfortunately, Okrand has specifically said that one does
>  NOT use a question as the object of the verb {SIv}. >>
>

> QAO vIlo'be' 'e' vInab je jIH. 'ach charghwI'vaD jIghelnIS:  ghorgh
> QIjchu'pu' MO, jatlh:  <<mu'tlhegh Doch DalaHbe' ghellu'ghach.>>?

During my one interview with Okrand in HolQeD he was very
clearly cautious about how SIv should be used. He
repeatedly said, "I just keep wondering about {SIv}." He
was obviously both making a joke and also genuinely puzzled
over how this particular verb should best be used.

Meanwhile, he had already given us an example of how it
would be used, as I recently quoted here.

startrek.klingon newsgroup (July 1997):

"All four words asked about ({tul} 'hope', {Qub} 'think',
{Sov} 'know', and {SIv} 'wonder') can be used in the
construction {S 'e' V}, where S is a sentence, {'e'} is the
pronoun ('that') which refers to a previous topic (in this
case S), and V is one of the verbs listed above (as well as
some others). If the sentence (S) is {tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh}
'you speak Klingon', it's OK to say ... {tlhIngan Hol
Dajatlh 'e' vISIv} 'I wonder if you speak Klingon'. (The
fourth example is weird from an English translation point
of view, but it falls right in line in Klingon. If the
English translation matched the pattern of the other three
sentences, it would be 'I wonder that you speak Klingon'.
In English, this means something like 'I'm surprised that
you speak Klingon' or 'I don't understand how it can be
that you speak Klingon', but this is not what the Klingon
sentence means. The Klingon sentence means something more
like 'I am curious about whether you speak Klingon'. The
clumsiness here is the English, not the Klingon.)"

So, whether or not anyone wants to argue in favor of an
as-yet-unseen use of a question as object in general,
Okrand has specifically told us not to use a question as
the direct object of {SIv}.

> qep'a'Daq jang quvrIp jeSwI' Seqram, jatlh:  QAO has not been ruled out.

Seqram continues to argue in favor of what he wishes to
call an "indirect question", which is a grammatical
construction as yet unintroduced in canon or explained
anywhere in Klingon grammar from Okrand. This would be a
special kind of QAO and not simply an SAO that happens to
use a question instead of a statement as the sentence
represented by the prefix {'e'}.

Apparently, Seqram brought up this idea of an indirect
question in a conversation with Okrand and got an
uncommitted response, which encouraged him enough that he
will hang on to this concept until we either have an
example from Okrand or get him to specifically tell us it
doesn't work, even though we have no justification for its
use until we have such an example or explanation.

Meanwhile, this is all a long way from simply opening up
SAO to casually include questions. We've been through this
enough times that people should generally agree that until
Okrand tells us otherwise, this issue is basically dead.

> Other conversations/posts have advocated not using QAO until we know for sure
> from MO.

True.

> peHruS

charghwI'