tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 16 12:58:22 2000

Re: elements

On Wed, 15 Mar 2000 18:15:20 -0500 (EST) david joslyn
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm no canon master (I leave that to Voragh) but I imagine terms for other
> elements could be derived in a similar manner. <qulnagh>, "fire-stone" for
> sulfur, for example.

puHDuj rutlh chenmoHwI' pong 'oH qulnagh'e' 'e' vIHar.
He'So'bogh nagh 'oH *Sulfur"'e'.

Imagining words like this generally creates more trouble
than benefit.

> Odd about nitrogen. I'd associate <voQSIp> more with chlorine.

Well, I think "choke" is a gentle word for what chlorine
does when you breathe it. In high concentrations, it
combines with water vapor in the lungs and eyes to form
hydrochloric acid. You really don't want hydrochoric acid
in your lungs and eyes. I know of three men doing
maintenance in a paper plant who inadvertently opened the
wrong hatch and found themselves standing in chlorine gas
with no breathing aparatus. Two were badly injured and the
third was seriously injured with an extended hospital stay.

> quljIb

charghwI'

Back to archive top level