tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 09 21:31:56 2000

Re: BrokenPhone / ChineseWhispers

ja' ghaHbe'wI':
>Can someone explain me what these games are? Can they be applied to Klingon?

Wow.  I was just thinking about how to adapt a "telephone"-like game to
Klingon (for a qep'a' game, perhaps) yesterday.

The game I'm familiar with involves a chain of people.  The first one in
the chain is given a spoken phrase and whispers it to the next person in
line, who whispers it to the next, etc.  The fun comes in discovering
how much the phrase has changed after it has passed down the chain.
A sample sentence like "The horseman rode a grey tripper" can mutate
into "Horace Monroe the great rip-off".

A game like this takes on an extra dimension when you add another language
to the mix.  You can just send a phrase in that language down the line to
see how well it survives, or you can have alternate people translate into
and out of that language for more severe damage. :-)

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level