tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 29 05:04:43 2000

ja'/jatlh

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
> I wouldn't say either of those.  I'd say {qama' vIja'} and be done with
it.
> There's no "target" here.  There's an object which receives the action of
> the verb "say", and one might argue that "target" is an appropriate term
> use in general for the object of a sentence, but that doesn't make it
> similar to the target of a phaser blast.

ja'
tell, report

jatlh
speak, say

Personally, I think there's a difference here.  /ja'/ has a narrower
meaning: the subject is making statements or commands at the object.
/jatlh/ is the general verb where the subject articulates just about
anything with speech.

puq ja' yaS choqIp'a'?
This would be incorrect.

puqvaD jatlh yaS choqIp'a'?