tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 28 17:31:14 2000

RE: thunder and lightning

> I've just helped a guy find a word for thunder (and
> lightning in the process). I have stumbled on a question
> of my own doing that.

> I've deduced <muDul'> for lightning ...

> ... and <muDmay' bom> for thunder.

> TKD doesn't put the different nouns of a noun-noun construction
> together. Have I erred in doing so? Should it be <muD ul'> and
> <muD may' bom>?

> And because I'm not very sure of myself at times: is muD may'
> bom a good way to translate thunder?

Careful with spelling: it's <'ul> rather than <ul'>.

Klingon does have compound nouns, like <QongDaq>, but it's probably better
to stay away from compounds, and keep the words seperate.

I think <chal 'ul> is probably better than <muD 'ul>. <muD 'ul> could be any
electricity in the air, and would probably suggest common static
electricity. Lightning *is* static electricity, of course, but much more
powerful than the typical spark between your finger and a bit of metal.

I also don't think <chal may' bom> (or <muD may' bom>) works very well. It's
a nice image for a poem, but it's a little obscure for everyday usage. For
that, I'd suggest <chal 'ul wab'a'>. <wab> is a fairly new word - you won't
find it in TKD or KGT - that means "noise", so <chal 'ul wab'a'> would be
"great noise of lightning". Awkward, I know, but easily understood.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level