tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 23 13:01:50 2000

Re: KLBC: Qochbe'

ja' peHruS:
>I have not seen anyone using the suffix {-chuq}.  maQochbe'chuq HoD jIH je
> appears to be okay.

Using {-chuq} gives exactly the potential problem that we're trying to avoid.
In order for a type 1 verb suffix to make sense, the verb must be able to act
on an object. If {Qochbe'} "agree" doesn't make sense with an object,
*{Qochbe'chuq} "agree each other" doesn't make sense either.

At least {HoD vIQoch} has a teeny bit of precedent with things like the
"prefix trick", though I don't think the specific third-person usage on a
verb with no natural object is seen in any of the examples we know to be
correct. Extending the "trick" further yet to include reflexive suffixes on
non-object-taking verbs is unwarranted, in my opinion. And it's totally
unnecessary! {maQochbe' HoD jIH je} "the Captain and I agree" works perfectly
without a {-chuq}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level