tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 20 17:20:16 2000

Re: We're not what you think...

De'vID:
> > It was more of a "We're not what you think... not all of us."
> > Perhaps: /juSovchu'be'... 'op maH junoHHa'./

charghwI':
> My problem with this is that it sounds like you are saying,
> "You know us imperfectly... You misjudge some of us." This sounds
> like misjudging some of us is the action which brings the earlier
> statement to its truth. By misjudging some of us, you become imperfect
> in your knowledge of the larger group.

bIlugh.  Dangu'pa', qechvam vIqelbe'.

> The English sounds like the mental progression is:
>
> 1. We are not what you think.
> 2. Well, okay SOME OF US are EXACTLY what you think, but
> 3. Not ALL of us are what you think.

DoS DaqIpchu'.

X-Men lut[*] DaSovbe''a'?  vaj jIQIj.

[* - I mean the story from the comic book, not the movie.
There are no spoilers here.  I'm only guessing what the movie
is about based on the comic book, which may or may not be
accurately reflective of the movie.]

tera'Daq, tera'ngan motlh, tera'ngan luchoHqu'lubogh (mutants) je
lutu'lu'.  mIgh 'op mutant-pu', 'ej tera'ngan motlh Suv chaH.
tera'nganpu' che' mutant-pu' 'e' luHar.

'ach mIghHa' latlh mutant-pu', ghob pab chaH.  Hoch tera'nganpu'vaD
laHmeychaj lo'qu' 'e' luHar.  wa' mutant-pu' mIghHa' ghom 'oH
X-Men'e'.  X-Men cher Professor Xavier (Professor X), 'ej Dev.

"We're not what you think... Not all of us." jatlh Prof. X.
'IvvaD jatlh?  jISovbe'.  ja'be' much'a' chovnatlhHom (movie
trailer).  'ach mu'tlegh vIyajlaw'.

vIloy: tera'ngan motlhvaD jatlh Prof. X.  mIghqu' Hoch mutant-pu'
'e' Harlaw' tera'nganvam, 'ej ghaH jotchoHmeH jatlh Prof. X:
"We're not what you think."  ponlaHbe'law'.  chaq mutant-pu'
mIghqu' Sov tera'nganvam 'ej ghaH ghIjqu'.  'ach pIm X-Men, vaj
jatlh Prof. X: "... Not all of us."

> The almost afterthought sounds like an adjustment made in order
> to make the statement more accurate. Meanwhile, Klingon gives us
> better tools than English to indicate accuracy. Surely we can exploit
> this.
>
> How can we convey this well in Klingon?
>
> junoHHa'law'. 'op maH junoHHa'bej.

much'a' vIbejpa', jInoHlaHbe'chu'.  chaq ghu' naQ vIloyHa'.

SKI: In translation, context is everything, but unfortunately I won't
know the context until I see the movie.

--
De'vID