tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 13 18:17:59 2000

Re: Court Room Lingo

janSIy wrote:

:                                           One of the things they want
: me to do is preside over a court case between the Federation and the
: Klingons.  So I'm looking for some court terms that I can use.  I'm not
: looking to have the whole thing be in tlhIngan (as I'll likely be the
: only one who speaks it), but I was wondering what terms you would use
: for some of the classic TV phrases like, "All rise for the
: honorable...," "Objection, your honor," "Order in the court," "May I
: approach the bench?" "Guilty," "I'm innocent," etc.

For "I object" you could say {jIqaD} "I challenge/oppose" or even {qaqaD}
"I challenge/resist/oppose you, both of which have a more Klingon feel than
a simple {jIQoch} "I disagree".

{mevyap}  "Stop, [it is] enough!" (idiom: "Stop! Cease!") KGT [std: {yImev,
yap!} (KGT 113)]
  - *mev yap* "That is enough!" (Sins of the Father).
This will come in useful for "Order! Order in the court!" and also has the
advantage of probably being understood even by non Klingon-speaking
Trekkers, since it was heard a few times in the episodes.  A clipped {tam}
"Be quiet!" was also used in "Sins of the Father".

To see how a Klingon special prosecutor deals with a Starfleet court
martial as well as an interesting view of the differences between
Federation and Klingon legal assumptions and procedures, watch at DS9
"Rules of Engagement" if you can get a copy.  To see a formal Klingon state
trial, don't forget to rewatch ST6 with Gen. Chang prosecuting Kirk and
McCoy for the assassination of Gorkon.  Take a good look at the hooded
Klingon judge.

For "your honor", just add {-neS} to the verb.  In fact, if you're the
judge, insist on it.

Here are some useful verbs:

  chun     be innocent
  DIv      be guilty
  naDHa'   discommend, disapprove (of)
  noH      judge, estimate [may not be used in the judicial sense, but
           it's all we have]
  pIch     blame
   - qapIch  "I blame you." (STC KLS)
  pum      accuse

Some useful nouns:

  bo'DIj   court (of law)
  ghIpDIj  court-martial
  pIch     fault, blame (n.)
    - pIch vIghajbe' "It's not my fault." (TKD)
  pum      accusation
  yoj      judgment

Some Klingon legal terms:

{meqba'}  *mek'ba* (type of legal proceeding: that portion of a Klingon
trial or appeal in which evidence is heard) [cf. TNG "Sins of the Father"]

{vItHay'}  truthtest KCD ["truth duel," a ritual challenge analogous to
trial by combat. {vItHay'} is issued by the accused against his accuser. It
proves who is guilty, or who is not. It is a fight to the death. Klingons
believe that in mortal combat the honorable fighter, and the fighter on the
side of truth in a situation, is always victorious. The truth will always
have more inner strength than a lie. The ritual chamber for a {vItHay'} has
a fire in the center. The combatants are dressed in ritual fighting robes.
Those who watch form a circle and the two fight within the circle of
warriors. The one making the charge has the first choice of weapons:
bat'leth, knife, or bare hands. (KCD)] - "I challenge my accuser to a
{vItHay'}. A test of innocence." (KCD novel, p.171f)

{naDHa'ghach}  discommendation [TNG "Sins of the Father"]
 - "I have accepted discommendation." [Worf, in TNG "Reunion"]
{naDqa'ghach}  re-commendation

{cha'DIch}  an aide (a "second," who stands with and defends a warrior
during a ceremonial challenge. Cf. Sins of the Father, STE, TKW 21)
 - ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj [sic] "May your enemies run with fear."
This is the traditional acceptance upon being asked to serve as {cha'DIch}.
("Sins of the Father")

I hope some of this is useful.

--
Voragh