tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 01 07:35:29 2000

Re: Raise your betleH to the stars.....

ja' charghwI':
> I think this is a matter of debate. We know that at least in most cases,
> adding {-Daq} to a noun implies that the noun relates to the location of the
> action. Some argue that it also can imply, as you do, that it can be the
> target of the action, but I think that's shaky ground, and by a little
> recasting, it is unnecessary.

I always read TKD 3.3.5 this way. Am I reading too much into
the possibility of translating -Daq by "to", then? Does this
only apply when it (redundantly) marks the direct object of
verbs of movement?

IIRC, {DujDaq vIjaH} means "I'm going to the ship." vs
{DujDaq jIjaH} "I'm going on the ship." (I have a hard time
finding the HolQeD issue that covered this)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]

Back to archive top level