tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 31 15:43:12 2000

RE: Crossword 1

> : At first I wanted to name it as {X-chuq mu'mey} "words crosses", but I
can't
> : find any word fitting for "to cross", so it remains with its English
name...
> : suggestions for Klingon crossword's names are welcome!
>
> I couldn't think of a good word for "cross, intersect, intercept, etc."
either.

Perhaps  rar - connect

> FYI: Glen Proechel and Ken Traft of the Interstellar language School came
out
> with *{pachmu'} "Clawword" (or Sqr'bl, a Klingon crossword [Scrabble]
board
> game).  I imagine others have come up with Klingon crosswords too, but I
don't
> know what they called them other than the generic {mu' Quj} or "word
game".

I took my Klingon Scrabble game to qep'a' and we played it.

> Just a thought... in view of the Klingon preference for threes, has anyone
> tried devising a TRIANGULAR-shaped crossword puzzle (like a *klin zha*
board,
> or Klingon tactical displays)?  I'm not sure how you would indicate
coordinates
> for three intersecting lines of text, though.

On the Klin Zha web page there is a description of such a coordinate system.

A triangular board would not work for Scrabble, but you might get it to work
for a crossword puzzle.
(In Scrabble, any contact with another letter has to make a word.  In a
crossword puzzle, two words can run parallel without every point of contact
making new words.)

DloraH

Back to archive top level