tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 29 12:04:06 2000

RE: Blood Fever

About three weeks ago (!), malqa said:

> No, she doesn't need the translation of Pon Farr, just
> Blood Fever as that was the name of the episode.

pagh:
: Pon Farr *is* the Vulcan term for Blood Fever. I don't watch Voyager, but if
: the episode was talking about Vulcan Blood Fever, then you really do want a
: translation for "Pon Farr". Since the episode's title is just a translation
: of a foreign term, the original term is far more important than the English
: translation. In that case, I would guess that <pubtaH 'Iw> - "The blood
: boils" is the best translation, as ghunchu'wI' suggested.

That's fine as a sentence; for a noun phrase try {pubtaHbogh 'Iw rop} "boiling
blood disease/sickness" modeled on {pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq} "boiling worm wine"
from PK.  And the idea of blood boiling also fits in nicely with the Klingon
proverb:

   tujpa' qul pub SuvwI' 'Iw.
   A warrior's blood boils before the fire is hot. TKW

which Okrand explains:

  "This proverb suggests that it is better to take the initiative
   than to simply react to situations. Blood, the controller, does
   not need an external influence in order to heat up; one need
   not draw strength from the outside." (TKW p.32)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level