tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 28 18:32:20 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

ghunchu'wI':
> There is a canon example of *no* conjunction:
> tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq...

qe'San:
: "tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq  Literally this means "from area-sothwestward
: to area-northwestward to area eastward"..

I must admit that I haven't been following this thread, but while rereading
Okrand's st.k 11/99 post on directions I noticed a comment on this idiom which
may be of interest here:

  A more archaic form of the idiom is <tIngvo' 'evDaq 'evvo'
  chanDaq> (literally, "from area-southwestward to
  area-northwestward, from area-northwestward to area
  eastward"), but the three-word version (without the
  repetition of <'ev>) has all but totally replaced it.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level