tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 24 21:21:04 2000

RE: KLBC: relative clauses again (and some un-relative-clause stuff)

>jatlh lay'tel SIvten:
>
> > vaj tlhIngan Hol lo'DI' jatlh vay':
> >
> > 1. The child sees the man who hears the woman.
> > be' Qoylogh loD legh puq.
>
> > 2. The man who hears the woman sees the child.
> > puq legh be' Qoylogh loD.

> > 3. The child sees the man whom the woman hears
> > ? loD Qoybogh be' legh puq.
> > (?The child sees the woman who hears the man.)

> > 4. The man whom the woman hears sees the child.
> > ? puq legh loD Qoybogh be'.
> > (?The woman who hears the man sees the child.)

Hi again. I'm just asking this to make sure I understand it: If you don't
plop a -'e' onto a noun in the -bogh clause, it's just assumed the subject
of the clause is the head noun, right?

Also, some more things. Can you use a Type 5 suffix that's not -'e', like
-vaD, with a -bogh clause? And which noun does it go on? The head noun, or
the last word in the clause? (Or do we not know yet?)

DeS Hutlhbogh loDvaD pu'HIch nob HoD
- The captain gives a phaser to the guy who's missing an arm.

loDvaD Sopbogh targh pu'HIch nob HoD
- The captain gives a phaser to the guy getting eaten by the targ.

(Would adding -vaD indicate loD as the head noun?)

Oh, and I've decided to translate another X-Files episode into Klingon.
(Groans all around.) Are there any words or phrases I could use to translate
the following so I won't have to put too many of my words in <>'s? I'll
still probably have to <> a few.
parasite, host (of a parasite), ammonia, crater, geology, body bag, lymph
node, dog, bubonic plague, larva, stool (as in droppings), quarantine,
(test) sample, airfield

Also, there's a line, "45 minutes after they evacuated us, they torched the
place." I remember hearing (as a response to a question of mine) that
"after" could be indicated by -pu' and -DI' (i.e. when I had completed
whatever.) But how would I indicate a set amount of time after? qaSpu'DI'
loSmaH vagh ('ej?) nunge'pu'DI' qach numeQ? (I'm not sure about the words I
used for "evacuate" and "torch (v)", and I probably should use -lu' where I
have "they". But that's not really the point of my question.)

- Patrick
"DaH qaStaHvIS poH ngaj wa' Doch Daje'chugh vaj Doch cha'DIch DaDIlnISbe'!"