tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 24 16:48:03 2000

RE: KLBC: verbs as adjectives

jatlh Hergh Suy:

> Would it be grammatically correct to put more than one verb
> after a noun in order to modify it, such as:
>
> <yIH thlaQ>
> funny tribble
>
> <yIH Do' thlaQ>???
> funny, lucky, tribble
>
> If not, how could I represent this concept? the TKD has
> little to offer on this topic.

No, it is not correct. Only one verb is allowed to modify a noun in this
way. You won't find this in TKD, but Okrand has answered this question. I
believe we found out in either an interview published in HolQeD or through a
news.startrek.com post. Instead, use a relative clause:

Do'bogh yIH tlhaQ - The funny tribble which is lucky. -OR-
tlhaQbogh yIH Do' - The lucky tribble which is funny. -OR-
Do'bogh yIH 'ej tlhaQbogh - The tribble which is lucky and funny.

You can stack up as many relative clauses as you want, although a sentence
can get awkward quickly.

pagh
Beginners Grammarian

Back to archive top level