tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 19 15:06:41 2000

RE: Use of topic as header

charghwI':
: If the conversation went:
:   "Who are you?"
:   "I am Seven."
: Then you'd be right. Meanwhile, if she said, "I am Seven of Nine," then
: "Nine" IS the topic of the sentence. It is the whole point of her statement.

{chatlh!}  Or should that be {chatlh'e'}? <g>

"Seven" is the topic of both sentences and identifying herself, not her group,
is "the whole point of her statement".  "I am Seven of Nine" is no different
from "I am Sarek of Vulcan" or "I am Worf of the House of Mogh" - the topic, as
well as the grammatical subject, is "I" in all these cases, not Vulcan or the
House of Mogh, or the Nine.

Side comment: Have you noticed how Seven still calls herself as "Seven of Nine"
even after more than a year alone on Voyager separated from the Nine.  It has
merely become her name.

: She is telling you that there are Nine to be considered. The topic of her
: context of naming is Nine. Within that topic, she is Seven. If you talk
: about anything but members of the Nine, then you are off topic, and within
: your off-topic context, she is not Seven. She is only Seven within the
: context of the Nine that are the topic of her statement.

No.  This might be true if the context were different, say if someone
unexpectedly encounters a bunch (crew? team? mini-collective? enniad?) of Borg
drones:

   Q: "Who are you [pl.]?"