tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 17 19:39:38 2000

RE: KLBC: Paoli-PA-Daq qepHom (Aug 20)

jatlh Ron:

> Ron jIH.
> Paoli-PA-Daq August 20, 2000* DungluQ qepHom wIqaSmoH
> be'nalwI' jIH je 'e' wIHech.

maj. And there's nothing wrong with Terran place names or dates.

<qaSmoH> is an interesting choice of verb here, and I think it works well.

> SISbe'chugh hamburger-mey DIvut 'e' wIHech.

hamburger-mey. chuckle. This is good.

> Sojmey tIS 'awj joq tIqem.

Typo: <'awje'>.

Also, <Sojmey tIS> seems a bit odd. Does it mean something on the order of
potato chips? How about <Soj noSlu'bogh> - "food which is nibbled", i.e.
munchies.

> Philadelpahia-vo' Hopbe' Paoli.

There is an interesting history to this particular topic. It turns out that
the right way to say this is actually <Philadelphia-Daq Hopbe' Paoli>. This
means "In Philadelphia, Paoli is not far away.".

> He 252Daq He 30Daq je Daq tu'lu'.

What does this <Daq> represent. The intersection?

> Daqvetlhvo' Daqvetlh 'ev tIng tIngDaq 0.15Hey
> qelI'qam jaHlu'chugh juHmaj tu'lu'.

Others may disagree, but I don't think the second <Daqvetlh> is necessary.

> juH mI' 24 'oH. ('ej SuD.)

A number which follows a noun is always treated as a label in Klingon, so
<juH 24> would be "house number 24". You don't need the <mI'>.

> naDev DaghoSmeH yapbe'qu' De'vam!

'e' vIchov je jIH.

> bIchIjmeH De' DaneHchugh [email protected] yIlI'

I think you mean <rI'> rather than <lI'>.

> qoj ghogh Qumghach (610) 647 7965 yIlo'.

<ghogh Qumghach> is not a very good term for this. Okrand has used <ghogh
HablI'> for "telephone", so <ghogh HablI' Quv> would probably work for
"telephone number".

> * tera'ngan jatlhwI' Dapu' 'e' vISov.

You really need a subject for the <Dapu'>. I think it should probably be
"I", so it would be <vIDapu'>.

> 'a tera'Daq maHtaH 'ej jIQum vIneq.

maj. typo: <vIneH>. It's a pretty unlikely typo too - unless you speak
Klingon. In that case it's fairly natural.

>   pabpo', QaghmeywIj DalughmoHmo' qatlho' vIneq.  qatlho'.

'e' vIta'qangtaH.

>   Dung bIng je mughchuqta' 'e' vIqaSmoH 'e' vInID.

There's a bit of a problem here - I don't think the above and below sections
can "translate" each other. In English the word "tanslate" sometimes gets
used like this, but I don't know that the Klingon word <mugh> can handle it.

   I'm Ron. In Paoli PA August 20, 2000* at noon my wife and I intend to
host a qepHom.  If it doesn't rain, we intend to cook hambergers.  Bring
light foods (snacks) and/or soft drinks.  Paoli is near Philadelphia.
Our home is about 1000 feet almost due South of the intersection of
routes 252 and 30.  It's house number 24.  (And it's yellow.)  This
information is NOT enough to get you here!  if you want navigational
instructions, send something to [email protected] and/or use voice
communication (610) 647 7965.
   * I know this is Earth style.  But we're on Earth and I want to
communicate.

   Expert Grammarian, I want to thank you for correcting my errors.
Thank you.

   I tried to have the Klingon area and the English area translate each
other.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level