tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 14 11:16:39 2000

Re: SeQpIr lut

pIl'o':
: *julyuS* voDleH lut mughpu''a' vay'?

Not that I know of, though I've always thought it would make a *very* Klingon
play.  What's nice too is that {yulyuS qay'Sar} Julius Caesar and "the palmy
state of Rome" are mentioned in "Hamlet" and discussed in the introduction and
notes to the KLI translation, or TKH (The Klingon Hamlet).  I'll check it when
I get home tonight.

: mu'meyvam  vIpoQ.
: *act* wejDIch,  *scene* cha'DIchDaq SoQ  vIpuS.

I believe TKH uses {lut 'ay'} for "act" and {lut 'ay'Hom} for "scene".

: would <jatlhtaHghach> or <jatlhmeH  mu'mey> work instead of <SoQ>?

DloraH:
> chaq [ghItlh].
> ghItlh - manuscript (n)

: I was under the impression <ghItlh> refered to the "writing" as in
: physical scratchings on papers, the print. I want to words, what I'm

pIl'o' is right.  A "manuscript" refers to a tangible printed or hand-written
text - i.e. the physical playscript that actors can hold - not the words of the
play as an intellectual abstract.  As Okrand probably asked his friends and
editors when he was writing TKD:

  ghItlh vIghItlhta'bogh DalaD'a'
  Will you read my manuscript? (TKD Useful Phrases)
  (lit. "the manuscript which I have written" - redundant?)

: looking for in the sentence above is a proper way to disambiguate the the
: concept of dialogue, actor's speech or soliloquey.

I think {SoQ} "speech (vs. {QIch} "speech [vocal sounds]"), lecture, address"
is fine for the last two.  Okrand discussed {SoQ} in startrek.klingon (June
1997) and revealed the idiom {SoQ Dajatlh}, translated by him as "you speak an
address/lecture (or, more colloquially, 'you deliver an address' or 'you make a
speech')."  His example:

  qama'pu'vaD SoQ Dajatlh.
  You make a speech to the prisoners.

If you need to be more specific, you can use the verb {ja'chuq} "discuss,
confer" or "tell each other" (TKD p.65), i.e. have a discussion/dialogue:

  qay'Sar luHoH 'e' lunabtaHvIS, ja'chuq bIru'tuS qaSyuS je.
  When Brutus & Cassius are plotting to kill Caesar, they have a
  dialogue (confer).

*{ja'chuqghach} certainly works for "conversation, dialogue".

If {SoQ} is insufficiently clear for "monologue" (a speech to yourself or to
the audience), you can say *{ja''egh} "tell yourself":

  HoH'egh 'e' qeltaHvIS, ja''egh Hamlet.  <<taH pagh taHbe' ...>> jatlh.
  When Hamlet is considering suicide he has a monologue, saying: "To be
  or not to be ..."

or more simply:

  HoH'egh 'e' qeltaHvIS, SoQ jatlh Hamlet. <<taH pagh taHbe' ...>>

*{ja''egh} of course implies the derived noun *{ja''eghghach}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level