tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 11 13:36:56 2000

Re: Outcomes

peHruS:
>I cannot find a word for "outcome, result."  I find "goal."  Ideas, please.

{ngoQ} "goal" was expanded to "purpose" in KGT:

  tlhIngan ngoQmey chavmeH HoH tlhInganpu'.
  Klingons kill for their own purposes.  TKW

There's also {ngoD} "fact," which has additional connotations in Klingon:

  ngoDvam luchavmeH ghawran maghpu' be'nI'pu'. woQ luSuqmeH jIjpu'
   chaH romuluSngan'e' je.
  To this end, the sisters have acted against Gowron, going as far
   as to work with Romulan factions in order to gain power. S26

And don't forget {ngaQ lojmIt} "The door is locked" from KGT - an idiom meaning
"The situation has an unavoidable outcome" or "The plan or commitment is firm
and cannot be changed."

  "The phrase... is also sometimes heard in reference to a situation
   with an inevitable, unavoidable outcome." (TKW p186)

De'vID:
: Maybe /qaSpu'bogh wanI' (or ghu')/ or /Qapchu'pu'bogh Qu'/?

{wanI'} "phenomenon, event, occurrence" and {ghu'} "situation" just by
themselves may also work.  Keep it simple.  The more complicated you make it,
the more likely you are to confuse those who can't divine your complicated
reasoning.

: Can you provide a little more context?

jIQochbe'.  latlh De' wIpoQ.

Trying to translate individual words is pointless; you usually wind up with
clumsy overly long definitions, not translations.  What are you trying to
translate?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons