tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 11 11:03:08 2000

Re: divorce

jatlh peHruS:
> Not only was the quote not {tlhogh ngoSlu'} in the first place, I am
appalled
> at the amount of misusages of {-lu'} as if it indicated passive voice.  It
> does not.  It indicates the subject's not being specified.  The correct
> translation of {tlhogh ngoSlu'} is "One/ somebody dissolves the marriage."

Appalled?  It's merely a style of translation.  "Someone dissolves the
marriage" and "The marriage is dissolved" mean the same thing, using
different English grammar.  Since English grammar is not Klingon grammar,
you really can't say that one style of Klingon grammar must necessarily be
translated as a certain style of English grammar.

tlhogh ngoSlu'.
The marriage is dissolved.
Someone dissolves the marriage.

These are the same.  There is no "correct translation."

SuStel
Stardate 527.7

Back to archive top level