tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 11 00:02:58 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

In a message dated 7/9/2000 2:09:56 PM Central Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

<<  A good canon example was ghunchu'wI's quoting ST5 saying, "You are
 > the best gunner." The grammar allows you to say, "You are the best", but
 > there is no way to say, "You are the best gunner". There is no hole in the
 > grammar into which "gunner" can be inserted except as topic. "As for
 > gunners, you  are the best."

RE: earlier post

I think I can fill the "hole."  baHwI'pu' qellu'DI', SoH QaQ law' Hoch QaQ
puS.

However, since the construction you folks are bantering about, i.e.,
baHwI''e' SoH QaQ law' Hoch QaQ puS, comes from MO himself, I cannot argue
against it.  I will simply get used to using it.

peHruS

Back to archive top level