tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 10 13:17:09 2000

Re: yIH? vIghro'?

pIl'o':
: question: how would you say, "You all talk about food."?
: *SojmeH  boja'chuq* cannot be correct.

Indeed not, for two reasons:  1) You can't put a verb suffix {-meH} on a noun
{Soj},  and 2) {ja'chuq} "discuss, confer" is a tricky verb whose usage is not
entirely clear, as you yourself realized.  You will no doubt hear several
opinions on how it works; here's mine.

{ja'chuq} has been used in canon three times:

  ja'chuqmeH rojHom neH jaghla'.
  The enemy commander wishes a truce (in order) to confer. TKD

  maja'chuqjaj?
  Can we talk? [lit. "May we talk?"] PK

  'uQ wISoppu'DI' maja'chuq.
  We will talk after dinner. PK
  (lit. "After we have eaten supper, we will confer.")

Okrand has written about {ja'chuq} that,

  "The verb is made up of {ja'} 'tell', {-chuq} 'each other';
   thus, confer is 'tell each other'." (TKD p65)

As I understand all this: Since the object of {ja'} "tell" is "each other" - in
fact, the object of {ja'} in canon is always the person being told - it appears
we can't add another object referring to the topic of discussion.  (Verbs with
the Type 1 suffixes {-'egh} and {-chuq} do not take additional objects in
Klingon.)  It seems you use {ja'chuq} when you want to refer to the act of
discussion itself - like "confer" in English in fact - not the topic being
discussed.  For that we generally use {qel} "take into account, consider" here
on the mailing list.

So you could say:

  Suja'chuqtaHvIs Soj boqel.
  You all talk about food.
  ("While you all are conferring, you all consider food.")

Or

  Suja'chuq; Soj boqel.
 ("You all are conferring; you all consider food.")

Or even just {Soj boqel} for short, relying on context.  Note that this usage
may not be strictly kosher, but it does get the meaning across.

:  Sojmo'?

{Sojmo' Suja'chuq} "Because of the food, you all are conferring" - the food is
the reason for the discussion.  This might work.

It's probably best to think of {ja'chuq} as meaning "have a discussion".  We
really need more information from Maltz to pin it down.

Hmm... Another question which hasn't gotten a lot of consideration:  Based on
the canon, {ja'chuq} may only refer to vocal discussions - i.e. oral speech -
and not written correspondence at all, such as an exchange of letters as on a
mailing list.

(BTW, there was a recent thread on {ja'} vs. {jatlh} you may want to look up in
the archives which may be helpful.)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons