tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 08 14:25:34 2000

Re: Raise Your betleH to the Stars.....

ja' Jeremy Silver <[email protected]>:
>IIRC, the action of raising the betleH towards the stars was in order to
>salute the stars. The stars could be considered a beneficiary in this case.
>qar'a'?

I'm the one who brought up the "salute" idea as an example of what I
*would* accept as a valid use of {HovvaD}.  The original statement,
preserved for all readers in the Subject: line of this thread, didn't say
anything about that being the intended meaning.  Indeed, the poster's first
translation used the phrase {Hovmey lurgh} in order to try to clarify that
he was referring merely to the *direction* of the stars, and not to the
stars themselves.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level