tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 07 16:59:39 2000

Re: Raise Your betleH to the Stars.....

ja' quljIb:
>I been following this whole discussion, and I must say that to a begginer
>(me) the phrase <Hovmey lurgh> makes perfect sense for "to(ward) the stars".

I believe that your "beginner's sense" is missing something.  The word
{lurgh} just means "direction", and does not necessarily imply "to" or
"toward".  For the spatial meanings of "to" or "toward", {-Daq} has the
right meaning.

>Further, what with all the ambiguity of <-Daq>, if a Type 5 Suffix must be
>used, then <-vaD> is the logical choice.

{-vaD} is only the logical choice when you're talking about a beneficiary.
There's no beneficiary apparent to me in "toward the stars".

><<Hovmey lurghvaD betleHraj yIpep>> 'oH mu'tlhegh lurgh. net Sov Hoch.

Qochba' 'op.

While the phrase in <<..>> marks is grammatically acceptable, I disagree
completely with using {-vaD} here, and {betleHraj yIpep} is a bit odd.
You're commanding whoever you're addressing to raise a single betleH which
belongs to multiple people.  Saying either {betleHraj tIpep} or {betleHlIj
yIpep} works better in my brain.

The rest of your comment does have a couple of real errors.  When using a
pronoun in the sense of "to be", the subject receives the noun suffix
{-'e'} (see TKD 6.3).  And the pronoun {net} is used only when the verb's
subject is intended to be "one" or "someone" (see TKD 6.2.5, the middle of
page 66).

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level