tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 08 13:44:31 2000

Re: divorce

[ngoS tlhogh]

jIH:
>...Even with the proper grammar, the phrase might not be able to
>refer to a marriage.

Voragh:
>Actually, it does; at least in on-screen Klingon lore.  In DS9 "House of
>Quark"
>when Grilka divorced Quark (at his request) - whom she had recently married in
>the *Brek'tal* {bIreqtal} ritual after Quark killed her husband in a bar fight
>- IIRC she slapped him, spit in his face, then shouted *N'Gos tlhogh cha!*
>"This marriage is dissolved!"  Short and sweet: no courts, alimony or divorce
>lawyers.

I don't have access to the scripts, and I usually can't make any sense out
of supposed Klingon words spoken on Star Trek TV episodes.  Where did you
find the spelling "N'Gos"?  If I didn't already know we were considering
the word {ngoS}, I doubt I'd have recognized it.

>You can consider this a bit of ritual {no' Hol}, or you can correct
>Paramount's
>grammar (as usual) to your liking.

I would prefer merely to ignore it as an example of anything useful.  If
we're calling it {no' Hol}, it tells us nothing that we can use in {ta'
Hol}.  If I'm being invited to correct the grammar, the grammar is assumed
to be wrong and should not be emulated.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level