tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 06 05:11:10 2000

divorce (was Re: obtuse question)

ja' peHruS:
>There has already been an answer for ages.  tlhoS tlhogh = the marriage is
>dissolved.
>
>End of discussion.

Where did this answer come from?  I ask the question seriously, with
complete expectation of a serious response.

ja'qa' peHruS:
>HIvqa' veqlargh!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Make that {ngoS tlhogh}.

{ngoS} isn't a verb of quality.  It's an active verb meaning "dissolve",
not "be dissolved".  So there's plenty of room for discussion, based on a
couple of issues:

First, whether {ngoS} means "come apart (as if under the influence of a
solvent)" or "cause something to come apart (by acting on it as a solvent)"
is an unresolved question.  The grammatically correct phrase might be {ngoS
tlhogh}, or it might be {tlhogh ngoSlu'}.

Second, we have absolutely no reason to assume {ngoS} can be used in a
wider sense than literally dissolving a solute in a solvent to create a
solution.  Even with the proper grammar, the phrase might not be able to
refer to a marriage.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level