tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 07 18:07:40 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

ja' SuStel:
>Next, although we haven't seen an example (and there haven't been many
>sentences I can think of where Okrand would have wanted to do this), it's ve
>ry, very possible that the following would make for a good Klingon sentence:
>
>Duj'e' baHwI' vIHoH.
>On the subject of the ship, I killed the gunner.
>
>The topic is the ship, and since the ship indicates something other than the
>subject or the object of the sentence (the subject is /jIH/ and the object
>is /baHwI'/), that noun becomes a "header" noun...
>Now, as far as topics go, I haven't given them much thought until recently,
>and I'm willing to admit that my example sentence may not be the best one.
>I think, however, that this is why we don't often see topics as "header
>nouns": it's hard to think of a topic which isn't also a subject or object.

qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS
(You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy.)
    - Vixis to Klaa

This shows something that looks like a topic which is neither subject nor
object, especially since a {law'/puS} doesn't quite have subjects or
objects.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level