tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 05 22:48:43 2000

Re: obtuse question

peHruS:
>Although {vebHa'} undoes the sense of being "next in a series," it does not
>imply to me the "previous, prior."  It may bring me back only to the present
>by not being next.

De'vID:
Interesting interpretation.  I didn't think about it that way.  To me,
/-Ha'/ doesn't just mean that something isn't done, it means it's
done wrongly, or in the opposite direction.  Thus, /jatlhHa'/ isn't
"to keep silent" but "to mispeak".

So, when I hear /vebHa'/, I don't think "undo-next, i.e. present" but
"going-opposite-of-next, i.e. previous".

I'm not sure that /-Ha'/ always works like this though, so I will
be cautious and remain open to your understanding of /vebHa'/.

--
De'vID