tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 04 16:28:21 2000

Re: KLBC: -law'

I do not believe that I can be confused "more"  ... :)
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: [email protected]
  To: tlhIngan-Hol
  Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2000 4:52 PM
  Subject: Re: KLBC: -law'

  >De'vID:
  >> /qatlh 'oH Daparlaw'/
  >
  >> Does this mean
  >> "Why do you {sort of dislike it}?" or
  >> "Why does it appear that {you dislike it}?"

  pagh:
  >I'm not certain there's much of a difference between these two.

  De'vID:
  Okay, now that I think about it, it's not the /-law'/ that's
  causing me the problem, but the /qatlh/ and the question of
  just what it applies to.

  [Well, /-law'/ is now causing me other problems - see my post
  to charghwI'.]

  My question is really, does the /qatlh/ apply to the /par/ or
  the /-law'/?  Let's say that I'm talking to my friend about
  my pet targ.  He is really mean towards it, and I ask him,
  /qatlh targhwIj Daparlaw'?/

  1) If /qatlh/ applies to the /par/, then /qatlh Daparlaw'/ means
  something like, "You seem to dislike it, why do you dislike
  it?"  It might be answered by saying, "It cleans itself way
  too much."

  2) If it applies to the /-law'/, then /qatlh Daparlaw'/ means
  "Why am I uncertain that you dislike it?", or "You seem to
  dislike it, why am I uncertain of that?"  It might be answered
  with "You misunderstand, I don't dislike your targ, you're
  supposed to treat them harshly, they like that."

  Does that make any sense, or have I confused the issue even more?

  --
  De'vID