tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 03 09:09:37 2000

Re: KLBC: -law'

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
> However, {DaSovbej'a'} is a line from ST:VI, subtitled "Are you sure?"
> Perhaps it's the interrogative that transfers the qualification from the
> speaker to the answerer, or perhaps Type 6 verb suffixes are just not
quite
> as clear-cut as TKD makes them out to be in the first place.

I'd agree with this, with the exception that I think that GENERALLY the Type
6 suffixes are clear-cut.  There is only one example of /-law'/ and one
example of /-bej/ in which the suffix indicates something other than the
level of certainty of the speaker that I know of.  Not much to bet on.
Another likely possibility is that these usages are exceptions to a
generally true rule, rather than general expansions of the meanings of these
suffixes.

SuStel
Stardate 505.6

Back to archive top level