tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 29 17:29:57 2000

Re: KliFlash [Was: Re: tlhIngan Hol pojwI' 2.0]

If I understand what I read in HolQeD 8:3, then what you need to do is
add some sort of word that specifies how much time ago. Without that it
just sounds like you're saying "Ago, he abandoned his post," which just
doesn't work.

We know how it works with years:

DIS puS  (a few years)
ben puS  (a few years ago)
nem puS  (a few years from now)

And here's how I think it works with an unspecified time period:

poH ngaj  (a short period of time)
ret ngaj  (a short time ago)
pIq ngaj (a short time from now)

or:

poH nI'  (a long period of time)
ret nI'  (a long time ago)
pIq nI'  (a long time from now)

I would think that you would know whether what you are talking about was
a long time ago or a short time ago, so this should be sufficient. If
not, then I would probably just use {-pu'} or maybe {-ta'}. Otherwise I
think {'op} (an unspecified quantity) would work -- I just don't know
exactly how to use {'op}.

Just my penny and a half's worth... :P

---

reH taHjaj tlhIngan Hol...

Qapla'

qenobIywan

I just have to come out lurking for this.

ter'eS has suggested using the new words {pIq} and {ret} to place a sentence
"in the future" and "in the past," respectively.  There have been objections
to this, and these objections surprise me.

Voragh recommends using phrases like {ben law'} "many years ago," {leS law'}
"many days from now," and {nem puS} "a few years from now."  Somehow, he
supposes these are more correct than simply using {pIq} and {ret}.

ret yaH lon.
Some unspecified time period ago, he abandoned his post.

ben law' yaH lon.
A few years ago, he abandoned his post.

My impression is that the first sentence is unacceptable to the experts on
the list, while the second is all right.  I fail to understand why.

The sentence which occurs is {yaH lon} "He abandons his post."  In the
apparently acceptable one, a "timestamp" is added: {ben law'}.  As Marc
Okrand explains, the time at which the action occurs (which typically is
expressed with a noun, though there are exceptions) is added to the
beginning of a sentence (just like any noun which isn't subject or object).

So why is {ben law'} superior to {ret}?  They're both pretty vague.  You at
least know the order of magnitude you're talking about with {ben law'}, but
nothing else.  Would {ben yaH lon} be acceptable?  "Years ago he abandoned
his post"?

I believe it is the bias of the list which has made this declaration.  Years
of familiarity with {ben}, {Hu'}, {nem}, and {leS} have made certain
"accepted" phrases come into common parlance.  Then something else like
these new words comes along, and if they don't match the familiar pattern,
they're not accepted.

{ben law'} is not any better than {ben}.  And if {ben} is acceptable, then
so must {ret} be.  And so on.  {ret yaH lon} is a perfectly acceptable, if
vague, sentence.  Sticking {ret} or {pIq} in front of a sentence is
equivalent to saying "in the past" or "in the future," respectively.  The
original poster was not creating new grammar at all, but using a logical
extension of an already accepted grammar.  Note that this is NOT grammatical
tense.  Grammatical tense would incorporate tense into the grammar--hence
the name.  This is the same form of time labeling as any other time noun.

That said, it's always preferable to state the time context of a sentence
precisely.

SuStel
Stardate 76.6