tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 26 15:04:19 2000

Re: How do you say, Drak Jedi, in klingon?

jatlh Voragh:
>if you did try to transcribe it you might get {je'DI'}

DujHod:
>But "Jedi" is pronounced with an "i" sound that more closely resembles
>{ay}, qar'a'? So wouldn't another (better?) transliteration be {je'Day}?

DloraH:
>If you want it to sound the same as how it is spoken here on tera', I would
>drop the ['] .
>['] does have its rightful place, but don't get all excited about it like
>the writers at Paramount do.  Klingon words/names don't have to have a [']
>in it.  [jeDay]

DujHoD:
: But wouldn't that put the stress on the second syllable instead of the first?

That actually sounds nice: je-DAY.  Sort of a Klingon accent.  If you want to
really stress the 2nd syllable, you could even write {jeDay'} with a final
'.

Different languages often accent different syllables of borrowed or
international words:  Eng. REStaurant ("REST-ront") vs. Rus. restoRAN
("res-tah-RAHN") vs. Fre. restauRANT ("rest-ah-RAH~N"), Eng. TElephone v. Rus.
teleFON, Eng. LENingrad vs. Rus. LeninGRAD, Eng. HOOSEgow vs. Span. juzGAdo,
etc.  There's no particular reason to fixate on transcribing the original
precisely in every little detail, especially in view of the fact that the
letters {D Q S I H gh tlh} are all pronounced a little differently in Klingoan
than in Federation Standard (i.e. English) - that's why Okrand used those
capital letters in fact - so an Okrandian transcription of foreign/alien words
is already approximate from the get-go.

In matters linguistic, Klingons are sometimes approximate - in spite of what
Worf claimed on Conversational Klingon!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons