tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 25 18:58:00 2000

Re: meqleH (again)

Voragh:
>   Another place to look is the Klingon Compendium section of the official
Star
>Trek Continuum site (www.startrek.com).  Both of these were compiled from
notes
>and reference materials used by the Paramount writing staff and are good
places
>to track down official (i.e. non-Okrandian) spellings of words and
identify the
>episodes they first appeared in.

Qor'etlh rightly pointed out:
:    Dr. Okrand made the list available for the Klingon Compendium.
: Originally ALL of the spelling errors were introduced by the staff at
StarTrek.com.
:    An attempt was made by certain members of this list to correct all of
those.
: Over 600 corrections were made, to spelling, definitions, and an attempt
was made
: to follow the original TKD pronunciation guide (I know, but they refused
to remove
: it.). Canon source was originally noted, but rejected by the ST.com staff.
: [snip]
:    I can safely say that there are fewer errors in the Klingon
Compendium, than
: there are now, in KWOTD. If only because there are fewer words.

Oops.  [insert replacement provberb]  I was referring to the Klingon
cultural database - whatever it's called - not the Klingon linguistics
section with the tlhIngan Hol words from Marc Okrand.  That's the part of
the site that has the Paramount-created terms, character names, ship names,
foods, rituals, etc. from the episodes -- all given with the spelling the
Paramount writers used in the scripts, captions and the Encyclopedia.
Presumably there's an entry for *mek'leth*.  I didn't even think that there
may also be a Okrand sound file for {meqleH}.

BTW, I haven't visited the site for months.  (I only have a slow
connection, too sluggish to efficiently handle all the great graphics and
sounds at the site.)   Has Okrand been adding words and sound files over
the past year?  Has the cultural database been updated with Klingon
references from the last season of DS9 and the current season of Voyager?
(i.e. "Barge of the Dead")?  It's definitely a great resource when these
non-linguistic cultural questions arise.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level