tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 20 15:58:16 2000

Re: meqleH (again)

>Most likely betleH became the generic term for a weapon of
>a similar type to the single entity in the universe known
>as the batlh 'etlh. qelIS 'etlh neH 'oH batlh 'etlh'e'.
>There is only one batlh 'etlh. There are many betleHmey.
>The word betleH sounds a lot like batlh 'etlh. Maybe that
>is intentional. Maybe not. We can't know.
>Well, first, you may very well be wrong to assume that
>betleH is a corruption of batlh 'etlh. Second, even if you

*****
KGT p59:
...,the first bat'leth was forged by Kahless the Unforgettable, the founder
of the Klingon Empire, from a lock of his hair dipped in molten lava.
Kahless created the name [betleH], meaning "sword of honor."  The word
[betleH] is actually an archaic form.  In contemporary Klingon, "sword of
honor" would be [batlh 'etlh], though this phrase is used almost exclusively
as a translation or explanation of the older word, [betleH].
*****

>> i.e. betleH comes from batlh'etlh (sword of honor)

well, as we see in KGT its the other way around.

DloraH

Back to archive top level