tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 20 15:52:48 2000

Re: KLBC: First Contact [Part 2]

In message <[email protected]> [email protected] writes:
> jatlh De'vID:
> ><Duy'a'> sounds close to
> ><Duy''a'>
> >What difference, if
> >any, is there between the pronunciation of the two words?  Just
> >a longer pause...?  I tried saying the two words to myself and
> >I really couldn't tell the difference.
>
> IIRC, a longer pause is the only difference. Okrand discusses
> double-consonants at some length in KGT.

(pp 138f.)

for what it's worth, I pronounce Duy''a' with three (3)
distinct glottal stops, and also with equal stress on
both syllables (v or n), whereas Duy'a' has only the
second syllable stressed (as far as I can determine
this is in accordance with TKD 1.3.)

                                           Marc Ruehlaender
                                           aka HomDoq
                                           [email protected]