tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 19 10:40:08 2000

RE: titles

jatlh De'vID:

>In Klingon, the title goes after the name. Thus,
><bob HoD> "Captain Bob"

>But how do I say "Bob's captain"? i.e. if my
>friend Bob served on a ship, and I wanted to
>refer to his captain whose name I don't know.

jatlh qenobIywan:

> How about <HoD'e' toy'bogh bob>? Or better yet:
> <bob ra'bogh HoD'e'> Or if Bob has already been
> mentioned, then just <HoDDaj> might work.

majQa'. This is excellent advice.

It is often possible to say just plain <bob HoD>, though. Context will often
make it obvious that Bob is not the captain, so <bob HoD> can only mean
"Bob's captain". For example:

yepHa'mo' bob 'ej QIpmo' bob HoD, Hegh bob.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ