tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 18 10:59:24 2000

RE: KLBC: ['] at the beginning of words

ghel Darq. jatlh:

English words beginning with a vowel usually have a glottal stop (I hope I'm
using the right term) before you hear the vowel sound. In Klingon, does
having a ['] character in front of words such as ['uS] mean there's two
glottal stops before you hear the [u] sound, or does this just mean the
sound is just recognized and indicated with a ['] character in Klingon?

The initial glottal stop just makes explicit what is implicit in English and
many other Earth languages.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ