tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 17 17:08:41 2000

RE: KLBC roving qu' and -vIp

jalth J:

> juppu'wI' jaghpu'wI' jequ' jIH chaHvIp 'e'
>
> my friends AND my enemies fear me [they are afraid of me]
>
> can -qu' rove on to a conjunction,
> and -vIp on to a pronoun to give this {of} sense??

A few problems. The <-qu'> suffix is a verb suffix only, so you can't stick
it on a conjunction like this - sorry. If you want to put an emphasis on the
"and", you can do it in Klingon the same way you did it in English - add
stress when you say it.

Also, the verb suffix <-vIp> on a pronoun doesn't work this way, and it's
weird enough that it might not work at all. Here are some examples of what
it would mean if it means anything at all.

mang jIH - I am a soldier
mang jIHvIp - I am afraid of being a soldier

nuch chaH - They are cowards
nuch chaHvIp - They are afraid of being cowards

For your example - "My friends and my enemies fear me" - you can use the
verb <ghIj> ("scare") and avoid pronoun acting as verbs entirely:

juppu'wI' jaghpu'wI' je vIghIjqu' - "I really frighten my friends and my
enemies".

> Qu'vatlh!  chuSchoH ghogh HablI'wIj. vIjangnIS.

vaj DaH yIjangqa'.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ