tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 17 10:40:56 2000

Re: Old subject revistied by a slow newbie

Qor:
}<ngech 'ang be' Hab> "a smooth woman shows cleavage", 'ach
}<ngech 'angbe' Hab> "(she) doesn't show cleavage, (she) is smooth"
}
}(Also, I may be missing something, but does <Hab> mean the same
}thing as <beQ> in this context?)

Qov:
: Okrand only knows.  I used /Hab/ in comparison to foreheads.  Maybe /beQ/
: would have been better understood.  To me /be' beQ/ implies someone landed
: a toQDuj on her.

Here is how Okrand has used the two:

{Hab}  be smooth
 - Hab SoSlI' Quch!
   Your mother has a smooth forehead!! PK
 [As used in slangy variations for {law'/puS} comparisons]
 - tlhIngan yoH ghegh verengan yoH Hab
   The Klingon is braver than the Ferengi (slang) KGT
 - tlhIngan yoH Hab verengan yoH ghegh
   The Klingon is braver than the Ferengi (slang) KGT

{beQ}  be flat
 - HuD beQ yoS
   Flat Mountain District (place name on Qo'noS) KGT
 - nagh beQ
   stone panel (artwork, similar to a painting) KGT

FWIW, {Quch ghegh} {rough forehead} is often used on this list as the opposite
of {Quch Hab}.  Seqram also used it in this sense for the epigraph accompanying
the Klingonized portrait of Shakespeare, used as the frontispiece to the KLI's
hardcover edition of Hamlet:

  naDev qonwI' qab'e' Dalegh:
  SeQpIr qab 'IHmoH QuchDaj ghegh

  This figure, that thou seest here put,
  It was for gentle Shakespeare cut

Literally: "Shakespeare's rough forehead beautifies his face."

: I think you won't believe a description of the Klingon female costumes,
: unless you have seen them on the show.

Ahem... indeed.  <G>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons