tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 15 00:02:45 2000

Re: tlhIngan vIttlhegh

juDmoS wrote:

: Qunpu''e' tu'lu'chugh, QaHHa', 'ej ruv ghaj HoSwI'pu' : 'ach Hovmey
: QaDHa' tlhopDaq taghpu'lu'bogh Hoch vay' qawpu'lu' 'e' yISov.
:
: "If there are gods, they do not help, and justice belongs to the strong:
: but know that all things done before the naked stars are remembered."
:
: "unprotected" for "naked" doesn't seem quite right, though...
: and the grammar seems a little convoluted...where did I err ?

Over the summer we discussed translating this proverb from _The Final
Reflection_.  (If they're working yet, check the KLI archives for the
subject "naked stars" IIRC.)  Someone - was it charghwI'? - finally
suggested the perfect translation: {Hovmey Huv} "clear/unobstructed stars".
 The proverb referred originally to those very rare occasions when stars
were visible in the night sky, unobstructed by humid Klinzhai's nearly
perpetual cloud cover.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons