tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 13 13:22:57 2000

How many identical phonemes in a row?

Someone's probably done this before, but I was looking at the
suffix <-Daq> and I came up with this sentence:

<QongDaqDaq Daq DaqwI'>

which has four <Daq>s in a row.  Are there other examples of 4 (or
more) identical phonemes (I think that's what they're called) in a
row, or is this the only one?  I was looking at the other suffixes
and <lI'> looks like a possible candidate:

<HablI' lI' lI'lI'>

which is supposed to mean, "the purposeful act of sending information
to the useful transmission device is in progress", but I don't know
what the object of <lI'> "transmit" is.  I was also hoping to be
able to tack a <-lI'> "your (for being capable of language)" on
<HablI'>.  Can this be done if the <HablI'> in question is, say,
Mr. Data (i.e. an android)?  I also wanted to tack a <-lI'> "in
progress" to <lI'> "be useful", i.e. if Mr. Data will soon be
useless after he has received the transmission.  But TKD 4.4 says
that such a verb can have no suffix other than <-qu'>.

ta' ta'ta'. (clipped)

--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level