tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 12 07:10:40 2000

Re: The song heard in "Barge of the Dead" (was Re: Klingon Opera)

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 18:31:33 -0500 (EST) [email protected]
wrote:

> >It mostly seems like simply chucking the words in like we imagine Paramounts
> >writers did. Some of it might be worth singing, or even grammatically correct.
> >Besides the greatest minds on this list have already worked long and hard
> >trying to make something of this, and given it up as futile.
>
> I realized that when I searched the archives.  But I would still
> like to know what the words are supposed to be.

You suffer from the illusion that the people who made these up
actually intended for these words to mean anything. Dispell this
illusion. They did not consult Marc Okrand. They never do. They
needed some syllables to put subtitles to. They looked some up
in the dictionary without ever learning the language and they
made up sounds for words they didn't have. This is what they do.
Get used to it.

> bomvam mu'mey qonwI' QaH MO, 'e' Sov'a' vay'?
> Anyone know if MO helped with this?

I'm 97% sure he had nothing to do with it. They never invite him
to work on these things for the TV shows. Never. Not once. He
works on the movies and on the audio tapes and books, but he
never works on the TV show. He is willing, but because of
scheduling, money and indifference, the people who make the TV
shows happen never consult with anybody about the language.

This is a dependable fact. Believe it.

> >Regards,
> >--
> >   Jeremy Silver   |\   [email protected]
> > __________________| \  [email protected]
> >|__________________|  |
> >                   |  | A1200, Blizzard 1260, 34Mb
> > mupwI' yI'uchtaH! |__| 1.4Gb HD. Amiga Forever.
>
> --
> De'vID

> Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
> Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
> the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level