tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 11 12:48:56 2000

RE: KLBC: 'IwtlhutlhwI' lIH'egh

jatlh 'IwtlhutlhwI':

> The first line and second paragraphs are the same text
> (or should be) in tlhIngan Hol and English. This
> carries on throughout.

maj. Qu'wIj DangeDmoHpu'.
Thank you - you have made my job easier.

> jIH'e' Saja'.

Interesting. You're obviously trying to use <-'e'> to mean "about". <-'e'>
has a lot of grammatical functions, but we don't really know if it can work
like this, so it's probably best to avoid it. Instead, you could say
something like "I will describe myself to y'all":

tlhIHvaD jIDel'egh.

> vIponglu' 'IwtlhutlhwI',

The object (the name in this case) must go before the verb:
'IwtlhutlhwI' vIponglu'.

>rut 'Iw jItlhutlhmo'.

Prefix: <vItlhutlhmo'>.

> pIj qaSbe'...

This is fine, but you should know that you can also say <pIjHa' qaS>. In an
interview for HolQeD, Marc Okrand has said that some (but not all) of the
adverbials, including <pIj>, can take the <-Ha'> suffix.

> I will tell you about me. I am called 'Blooddrinker',
> because I sometimes drink blood. But it doesn't happen
> often...

> Deghwi' jIH.

Spelling: <DeghwI'>.

> batlh may'Duj >>QIH qemwI'<< vIDegh.

Careful. <DeghwI'> *looks* like it is a combination of the verb <Degh> and
the suffix <-wI'>, but this is not the case. Klingon does not have a
(non-slang) verb <Degh>. This brings up the question of what a <DeghwI'>
does, exactly. One possibility is <ruQ> - "control manually, by hand". This
would probably only apply if you were doing something like adjusting each
thruster individually, which you would not normally do.

My theory is that word to describe what the <DeghwI'> does is <chIj>:
<batlh may'Duj >>QIH qemwI'<< vIchIj>.

> I am a helmsman. I honorably man the helm of the
> battlecruiser "Bringer of Destruction".

> vuDlIj vIHev 'e' vIneH. QaQ 'e' vItul.
> I want to recieve your opinion. I hope it is good.

With the verb <neH>, <'e'> and <net> are not used. This is one of the few
weird exceptions to the rules in Klingon. 'ej QaQbej.

Very good first post. I look forward to reading more.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

tlhIngan Hol Mailing List FAQ