tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 10 18:15:30 2000

{qeng} vs. {Qay}

jatlh Xardana:
> Please explain the word qeng.  I see it as convey.  How is
> that different from Qay, transfer.

pagh:
: I see <qeng> as carrying something around. You may be carrying something
: from one place to another, but that's not the focus. <Qay> focuses on
: getting something from one place to another, independent of the physical
: method of doing that. The meanings certainly have some overlap.

Here's what I have in my notes:

qeng  carry, convey (v.)
 - [No attestations in canon.]

qengwI'  (rifle) stock (?) (n.)
 - nISwI' HIch motlh HoS Hal qengwI' naQ tIq je lurarlu'bogh 'oH
    tlhIngan nISwI' beH'e'
   The Klingon disruptor rifle is a standard hand held disruptor,
    attached to an extended power supply stock. S14

tepqengwI'  cargo carrier [type of ship: {tep} "cargo, goods"]

tepqengwI'  cargo lift [type of crane] (BoP Poster)

Qay  transfer (v.)
 - vISeHmeH Hoch nuHmey Qay!
   [Transfer] All weapons to my control. (Clipped?) ST5
 - HoS QaymeH 'och
   power transfer conduit (BoP Poster)

Also, don't forget about a similar verb, {HIj}:

HIj  deliver, transport goods (v.)
 - rura' penteDaq Soj Doch <yuS> vIqIch. (?)
   We is condemning food... things and supplies to Rura Penthe.
   (sic! for {vIHIj}) ST6
 - yIHmey DaHIj'a'?
   Are you transporting tribbles? CK
 - ghobe', yIHmey vIHIjbe'.